If you have been added as an ARCP reviewer for your school, you will have an account on Portfolio Online with ARCP reviewer permissions. If you are not a reviewer for your school and need to be, contact your deanery. Deanery administrators can add an ARCP Reviewer to a school.
When deanery administrators schedule an ARCP for a trainee, read access to the trainee's account is automatically granted to all ARCP reviewers registered to the trainee's school two weeks before the ARCP review date and is revoked the day after the review. This gives ARCP reviewers the opportunity to review a trainee's portfolio in advance of the trainee's ARCP date.
Step 1: Log in to your account on Portfolio Online.
Step 2: Go to the portfolio of the trainee undergoing an ARCP.
ARCP reviewers can search for a trainee using the search box.
POtip: ARCPs you are involved in today will be displayed on the main dashboard of your ARCP reviewer's account. ARCP reviewers can use the links to quickly access a trainee's portfolio or ARCP Outcome Form.
POtip: ARCPs you are involved in which are taking place in the next two weeks can be found on the 'Organisations' page of your PortfolioOnline account.
Step 3: Review the trainee's portfolio
The portfolio page of a trainee's account shows an overview of where a trainee is at in specialty training and contains links to other useful pages.
On this example trainee's portfolio page, we can see that the trainee started their portfolio on 01 Aug 2016, is in CT3, started their current post on 06 Feb 2019 and is working 100% full time equivalent in this post. This example trainee has 47 activities stored in their portfolio. 43 of the 43 required competencies in the Core Psychiatry Curriculum (2016) have activities mapped to them. Further information about curriculum coverage can be gained from the colour-coded curriculum coverage bar: 31 competencies in this curriculum have 3+ activities mapped to them. 7 competencies have 2 activities mapped to them and 5 competencies have 1 mapped to them. Competencies that don't have any activities mapped to them would be orange.
If ARCP reviewers want to find out more about curriculum mappings, they can click on the link to the trainee's curriculum coverage page.
The curriculum coverage page shows the competencies in the curriculum as a list along with any associated mapped activities.
In this example, we can see that ILO 2a has 3 activities mapped and ILO 2b has 5 activities mapped. ARCP reviewers can click on the links to the individual activities to find out more about each activity. The vertical bars indicate how many other competencies an activity has been mapped to.
The Portfolio Overview section of a trainee's portfolio page has an 'ARCP' link.
By clicking on this link, ARCP reviewers can see the date of the trainee's next scheduled ARCP along with their last ARCP if they have one.
ARCP reviewers can click on the link to the trainee's next scheduled ARCP to see the following
- the dates of the current ARCP review period
- the folders covered within the current ARCP review period
- the status of the current ARCP Outcome Form if they have one (eg drafted, submitted, approved)
- a link to start a new ARCP Outcome Form or open an ARCP Outcome Form that has already been drafted.
Almost all a trainee's portfolio is available to ARCP reviewers as read-only in the two-weeks prior to their ARCP date. If there is something a reviewer would like to see in a trainee's portfolio that is not displayed on the portfolio page, the tabs across the top of the trainee's portfolio can be used to navigate to the different sections.
Here is a summary of what each page contains
- The Folders page shows all previous and current folders for a trainee's training levels (eg ST3, ST4, ST5). Trainees typically have one folder per training level.
- The PDP page shows any current Personal Development Plan items a trainee is currently working on in a list with a brief summary of each one along with any associated curriculum mappings. Reviewers can use the filters, tags, or search features to navigate through PDP items and can open up the PDP Item to see further details.
- The Activities page contains all entries in a trainee's portfolio including case logs & reflective notes. If a reviewer is looking for a particular activity or group of activities, they can use the search or filter functions. The reviewer might want to search for an activity with a particular title, category or tag for example. Reviewers can click on the activity to view further details including any mapped competencies or follow-up activities. The curriculum coverage view of activities can be accessed from this page as can the PDP coverage page.
- The Assessments page is a subset of a trainee's activities and contains all WPBAs including the mini-PAT. If a reviewer is looking for a particular assessment or group of assessments, a reviewer can use the search or filter functions in the same way as on the activities page. Reviewers can click on an individual assessment to view further details including any mapped competencies or follow-up activities.
- The Reviews section contains any online reviews including induction meetings, supervision sessions, Psychiatric Supervisor Reports, the ARCP Educational Supervisor Summary Reports, ARCP Outcome Forms & Form R.
- The Career History page contains a list of all posts. Here reviewers can find what % full time a trainee is.
- The Supervisors page contains a list of trainee's supervisors. A supervisor is anyone in a supervisory role including Clinical Supervisors, Educational Supervisors and Training Programme Directors.
Once ARCP reviewers are satisfied that they have reviewed a trainee's portfolio, they may wish to complete an ARCP Outcome Form for the trainee. Outcome forms are automatically pre-populated with information found on the trainee's account on Portfolio Online and have any required fields highlighted.
A visualisation of the different stages of conducting an ARCP online using Portfolio Online along with a key to the different roles in the process can be found in our article The ARCP Timeline & Roles.
If you have any queries or require any help regarding reviewing a trainee's portfolio, please contact the Portfolio Online support team on tel: 0800 987 1008 or mail: email@example.com.